The training activities of FOSMA is carried out under the banner of Fosma Maritime Institute & Research Organisation. (FMIRO). All Fosma member companies are committed towards training of Personnel for their Owners requirements and support training initiatives by contributing USD 10 per person per month employed on board their Foreign Principals'
vessels towards the funding of Fosma Maritime Institute and Research Organization.
Over the years some of our training initiatives have been as follows:
- Commencement of Ratings Training Programme, at BPT-Fosma Training Institute. Mumbai
- Starting of a training institute at New Delhi. This was essential as seafarers from North India had to travel and stay away from their homes for extended duration of time while studying for competency and other courses
- Commencement of GMDSS Training in Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata. None existed in India at that time.
- Starting of maritime training institute at Kolkata. This was essential as seafarers, from Eastern India had to travel and stay away from their homes for extended duration of time while studying for competency and other courses
- Memorandum of Understanding signed with Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers for Graduate Mechanical Engineers training, to become Marine Engineers
- Memorandum of Understanding signed with Haldia Institute of Maritime Studies and Research, regarding training of Deck Cadets.
In keeping with FOSMA’s philosophy of providing “Bridging the Gap” training, it is intended to keep the training initiatives
dynamic, to be able to respond positively and immediately to the demands that may come upon the principals in the fast changing maritime environment.
FOSMA, as an association which has carved a niche for itself in the Indian maritime industry, today finds representation in all forums especially related to maritime policy, education and welfare.